Here’s a Windows demo I worked on with Melwyn and Visualice. It was released at Assembly Summer 2014.
The soundtrack for the demo, called ‘Last Track’, certainly wasn’t one of those “flow state” kind of pieces to complete. I spent a good amount of sessions doing what felt like banging my head against the wall, making very little progress at a time. I also hoped we could’ve done more back and forth exchanging of ideas with Melwyn, but he ran out of spare time and thus I had to bag up the song by myself.
What initial sketches I got from Melwyn did very much pave the way though. The rhythmic foundation of bass and drums lined up neatly with the train theme, so those were kept center stage all the way to the finished project.
To share some idea of how the work progressed, below are demo clips of render versions 3 and 6. Render 3 is one of the sketches I got from Melwyn, whereas Render 6 is my first version based on Melwyn’s stem tracks. The final version which ended up in the demo was Render 9c.
Trained render 3
Trained render 6
Unfortunately Melwyn couldn’t provide me with all the stem tracks separately, so I had to do away with some of the original sound effects (sfx) etc. and rework both the bass and drum sounds from scratch using the MIDI stems. Biggest problem was that some of the sfx were mixed together with the drum stem, and they simply got in the way of having full control over the mixdown.
The combination of these two is pretty apparent in Render 6, especially during the drums only part starting around 2 minutes. You can hear them as the choppy mid-frequency mess of 16th notes. The way it’s like this is due to the gating effect I decided to apply over the drum track to make it more syncopated with the bass 16ths. But of course you still get the sound effect noises when the gate is open, so it was nothing but a bad idea temporary solution whilst waiting for Melwyn to check if he could get separate stems exported from his project files.
Also on Render 6, the bass line over the guitar part is simply transposed from original audio stem and as such sounds pretty horrible. Esp. the higher notes have this very plastic feel to them. Glad that I got rid of this edited stem shortly after.
Anyway good that we got this done, so the time spent over all the sessions didn’t go all to waste. 3rd place in the compo was a decent heart warmer too :). Dowload the Windows executable from scene.org.